By Here are the top mobile news and stories of the day.
- FreedomPop promises 200 mins of voice calls and unlimited texts on its free plan – FreedomPop used to be a data only carrier; however, they are now offering 200 mins of free voice calls as well. FreedomPop offers wireless internet on Sprint’s 4G networks. Via 9to5Google, more here.
- The Camera in Google Glass Just Got A Lot Better – Google has rolled out a software update to their Google Glasses to upgrade the way the camera works. “It’ll also automatically take HDR pictures in bright scenes.” As well, it takes many pictures to roll them into one picture. As the Google Glass capability continues to strengthen, it’ll be interesting to see how incredible it becomes. Via Gizmodo, more here.
- NVIDIA shows off Tegra 4′s pressure sensitive stylus support – “This week at Computex the folks from NVIDIA have been showing off their new core-deep and integrated DirectStylus capability that’s been added to the Tegra 4.” The new Tegra 4 architecture could be used by artists and others who love styli. Via Android Community, more here.
- Wikipad’s $249 Android Gaming Tablet Will (Finally) Make Its U.S. Debut On June 11 – The Wikipad is a 7″ Tegra 3 tablet that can lock into a gamepad and become a great game playing device. It is basically the Nexus 7 with a gaming dock. It was released in Europe, but is now going to hit the US shores in the near future. The Tegra 3 architecture is almost two years old and I would be wary investing in this device because it may not perform admirably in the future. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- Gajah unveils E Ink case for iPhone 5 and Galaxy Note II, out next month for $129 – Gajah is rolling out e-ink rear-displays for the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy Note II. The GN II will be out first, with the iPhone 5 model following. A GS4 version may even be possible. The iPhone version uses Bluetooth 4.0, which has great low-power capabilities, while the GN II version uses Bluetooth 2.1. The low-power aspect will be key for something that will most likely run off of the battery in the phone. Via Engadget, more here.
- Google Play Store to surpass Apple App Store’s 50 billion in downloads within months – Apple recently hit their 50 billionth download, and it looks like the Google Play Store is about to reach the same mark. Android devices are downloading 500 million more times a month than Apple devices, due to the roughly 300M more devices. Via Phone Arena, more here.
- Verizon confirms HTC One coming later this summer – Verizon has confirmed that a Verizon version of the HTC One device will be available sometime this summer. The One is widely revered as the best Android device of the moment and will soon be available for most of the US (as well as in stock Android format on the Google Play …read moreSource: ctovision
- FreedomPop promises 200 mins of voice calls, Google updates the Glass camera and more (ctovision.com)
- Emrging carrier to offer smartphone service with data and unlimited SMS for free (news.yahoo.com)
- FreedomPop prepares carrier with free services for summer launch (electronista.com)
- How FreedomPop’s free mobile plan will work (news.cnet.com)
- FreedomPop expands service to include free voice — but not for iOS yet (tuaw.com)
- FreedomPop cradle brings free 4G to iPod Touch (reviews.cnet.com)